MERCANTILE ROWING CLUB, MELBOURNE
July news includes:
- Australian women’s eight and possible Russian exclusion from the Olympic Games
- Fundraiser for overseas team members a great success
- Olivia Sibillin and Rachel Engel selected in Australian under 23 team
- Mercs lightweight men do their part to lift lightweight rowing in Australia
- Mercs members assisting Olympic coverage
- Mercantile members off to US Colleges
- Mercs members at Henley Royal Regatta
- Photos from the archives
- Mercs masters plan for head racing season
- Four very interesting member profiles added
June news included:
- World Cup III wrap up and the Olympic progress of club members Jen Cleary and Josh Dunkley-Smith
- World Cup II wrap up and the Olympic progress of club members Jen Cleary and Josh Dunkley-Smith
- Australian Men’s under 23 eight training out of Mercantile comprising four Mercs members and coached by our head coach Simon Gadsden
- Marriage between two Mercs members, Sean and Bibi Colgan
- Bibi Colgan appointed a Committee member of Women’s Henley Regatta
- From the archives – new memorabilia donated to the Club
Mercantile has a proud history of rowing on the Yarra River and beyond. The club was founded in 1880 by a group of enthusiastic business and sports minded members with the aim to increase the health and recreation of Melbourne’s society via the noble sport of rowing.
From these idealistic beginnings, we have seen the club successfully produce members, who reflect the club’s current day beliefs:
- Excellence and service to the sport of rowing
- Physical and mental health
- Respect for yourself, club members, crew members and competitors
Mercantile has consistently produced members who are leaders in sport, in administration, coaching and athletic performance. Our members have provided representative service to Australia on the World and Olympic stage, including numerous World and Olympic champions. We boast three Thomas Keller medallists, awarded for an outstanding international rowing career (more than any other club in the world); and a whole host of Order of Australia Medallists for services to the sport of rowing. Our membership is broad, inclusive and long lasting.
Our membership base includes existing active members with a 80-year club membership history, to recent new members from school and masters levels.
If you love rowing and the ideals produced from a crisp catch, clean finish and steady roll forward, then Mercantile Rowing Club is the place to be. At Mercantile, as in life, “Every stroke we take, we take a stroke to win”.