MERCANTILE ROWING CLUB, MELBOURNE
January news includes:
- January Camp underway
- Vale Peter Philp
December news included:
- Youth Camp
- Intriguing story of the 1896 Olympic rowing trophy
- Gus Widdicombe goes to National Training Centre
- Michael McNamara takes Australian Ergo Record
- Naming of the David D Brown continues to get press
- New Mercs ties available
November news included:
- Missed Melbourne Head? Details and pictures
- Our Paddlers excel at the King Valley Challenge
- Rescue at Sea
- Regatta season has started so see the Club’s entries
- The Night of Excellence – what a great night
- The television account of the naming of the David Browne
- Who saved my dog?
- From the archives – the Club’s first Championship win
Mercantile has a proud history of rowing on the Yarra River and beyond. The club was founded in 1880 by a group of enthusiastic business and sports minded members with the aim to increase the health and recreation of Melbourne’s society via the noble sport of rowing.
From these idealistic beginnings, we have seen the club successfully produce members, who reflect the club’s current day beliefs:
- Excellence and service to the sport of rowing
- Physical and mental health
- Respect for yourself, club members, crew members and competitors
Mercantile has consistently produced members who are leaders in sport, in administration, coaching and athletic performance. Our members have provided representative service to Australia on the World and Olympic stage, including numerous World and Olympic champions. We boast three Thomas Keller medallists, awarded for an outstanding international rowing career (more than any other club in the world); and a whole host of Order of Australia Medallists for services to the sport of rowing. Our membership is broad, inclusive and long lasting.
Our membership base includes existing active members with a 80-year club membership history, to recent new members from school and masters levels.
If you love rowing and the ideals produced from a crisp catch, clean finish and steady roll forward, then Mercantile Rowing Club is the place to be. At Mercantile, as in life, “Every stroke we take, we take a stroke to win”.