MERCANTILE ROWING CLUB, MELBOURNE
Please be aware that the website structure is undergoing a change so not all the links work at the moment with the past news pages. This is being rectified and we apologise for the temporary inconvenience.
November news includes
- Mercantile blazer orders
- Vale Sandy Mitchell
- Apologies for the website outage
- President’s Christmas Luncheon – Sunday 15th December
- ‘Emergency dredging” in front of shed
- New date for President’s Christmas Luncheon
- Mercs on Saturday morning
- News from our man at Cambridge
- Jump like Jess Morrison
- Congratulations David Fraumano
- Appointment of Paul McGann as Performance Director
- Head Coach resigns
- Club members appointed to 2020 National Championships jury
- Thursday nights at the Club
- Your new Committee
- From the vaults – Henley on Yarra
October news includes
- Mercantile members in World Rowing Awards nominations
- Donald joins Men’s National Training Centre
- Colgan Foundation assists RA
- Road closures Sat and Sun 12/13 weekend
- New Club Trophy to recognise Martin Owen
- AGM and Dinner 19th October
- Road closures Sun 13 Oct – Melbourne Marathon
- Another member of the Mercs 2035 squad born
- Juniors reunion a great success
- From the vaults: Fund raising 1885 style
Mercantile has a proud history of rowing on the Yarra River and beyond. The club was founded in 1880 by a group of enthusiastic business and sports minded members with the aim to increase the health and recreation of Melbourne’s society via the noble sport of rowing.
From these idealistic beginnings, we have seen the club successfully produce members, who reflect the club’s current day beliefs:
- Excellence and service to the sport of rowing
- Physical and mental health
- Respect for yourself, club members, crew members and competitors
Mercantile has consistently produced members who are leaders in sport, in administration, coaching and athletic performance. Our members have provided representative service to Australia on the World and Olympic stage, including numerous World and Olympic champions. We boast three Thomas Keller medallists, awarded for an outstanding international rowing career (more than any other club in the world); and a whole host of Order of Australia Medallists for services to the sport of rowing. Our membership is broad, inclusive and long lasting.
Our membership base includes existing active members with a 80-year club membership history, to recent new members from school and masters levels.
If you love rowing and the ideals produced from a crisp catch, clean finish and steady roll forward, then Mercantile Rowing Club is the place to be. At Mercantile, as in life, “Every stroke we take, we take a stroke to win”.